Jaw joint disorder, loose fillings, gum disease, cracked teeth, exposed tooth root, an infection and cavities are among the primary causes of toothaches.
A toothache takes place when the pulp, which is essentially the central area of the tooth, becomes inflamed or irritated.
There are several highly sensitive nerve endings in the pulp and it can develop inflammation for a number of different reasons.
It is always a wise decision to consult with a dentist when a toothache surfaces to prevent the situation from worsening.
However, if a dentist is not readily available when pain strikes, there are home remedies for toothache that can be used to alleviate the pain. Included among these remedies are:
This toothache remedy can provide immense relief. Garlic contains medicinal properties like antibiotic, which can be quite effective in slowing down the effects of the bacteria.
- Crush a clove of fresh garlic or use garlic powder, mix with black salt or table salt and directly apply it to the affected tooth to relieve the pain and discomfort. Alternatively, a clove or two of garlic can be chewed to find relief. This natural treatment should be repeated for a few days.
- Salt and Pepper
- For extremely sensitive teeth, a mixture of salt and pepper can work wonders.
- Equal quantities of pepper and table salt should be mixed with an appropriate amount of water until a paste is formed.
- The paste should be directly applied to the affected area and left on for a few minutes.
- This should be done on a daily basis for several days
Because of their antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, onions are ideal for controlling the intensity of a toothache. They work to relieve pain by killing germs that cause infections.
- Raw onion can be chewed for a few minutes to eliminate pain.
- For those who would rather not chew on an onion, a piece of uncooked onion can be directly placed on the bad gum or tooth.
- Cloves are a great toothache home remedy because of their anesthetic, antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties fight infection and alleviate pain.
- Crush two cloves and combine with a little olive oil. Apply this solution onto the affected region.
- The clove oil can be used on a cotton ball and rubbed directly onto the sore tooth. Alternatively, half glass of water can be infused with some drops of clove oil and utilized as mouthwash.
Warm Salt Water
A glass of warm salt water has the capacity to be a great toothache treatment. In a glass of warm water, mix in half a tablespoon of table salt. Use the mixture to thoroughly rinse the mouth.
When this solution is applied to the affected tooth, fluid will be extracted from the tissue and the swelling on the nerves will be reduced. Additionally, this mouthwash will fight against infection causing bacteria.
Asafetida can effectively treat bleeding gums and pain in the tooth at home.
- A pinch of the powdered form of asafetida should be added to lemon juice and slightly warmed. Apply the solution to the affected area using a cotton ball. This will quickly provide pain relief.
- Asafetida can also be fried in clarified butter and placed in the cavity of the tooth to get instant relief.
Wheat Grass Juice
This is a toothache home remedy that provides relief through its antibacterial properties and it also assists in fighting tooth decay. The juice should be extracted from the wheatgrass and used as mouthwash.
The juice will absorb gum toxins, control infection and reduce bacterial growth. Wheatgrass can be chewed on as well.
Guava leaves are great for alleviating pain.
- Chew on 1 or 2 guava leaves with the affected tooth to extract the juice.
- Alternatively, between 4 and 5 guava leaves can be boiled in a cup of water. When the solution reaches a warm temperature, add salt and use as mouthwash.
Ice can numb the nerves and gums and bring about pain relief.
- In a plastic bag, place an ice cube and use a thin piece of cotton cloth to wrap it. Apply to the cheek close to the pain for a few minutes. Ice can also be directly placed on the tooth but must be carefully done. Please note that the cold could worsen the pain if placed on exposed nerves.
- Rubbing ice cube between the thumb and index finger for a few minutes is a great acupressure technique that alleviates pain.
Toothaches can be extremely painful and quite debilitating. Using an effective toothache remedy that can be done at home could be the difference between having a sleepless night and finding relief from the pain.
Watch the video to learn how you can quickly develop a toothache remedy that works. All you need is a few household items.